Notice of Privacy Practices
THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
Coral Coast Dental takes your privacy seriously. We want to tell you about our privacy practices to protect your personal health information.
How Do We Use Health Information?
Coral Coast Dental uses your health information to facilitate your treatment, coordinate payment for treatment, and for other related healthcare operations. Examples of these disclosures include:
- Treatment: Coral Coast Dental releases your health information to dentists that are providing treatment to you or coordinating care with another dentist, such as a specialist, for the purposes of facilitating your treatment. For example, we may discuss your treatment plan with your dentist or provide prior authorization to your dentist to provide certain services.
- Payment: Coral Coast Dental also releases your information to your dentist or dental practice to facilitate payment of care. For example, we pay claims submitted by dentists who provide treatment to you.
- Health Care Operations: Coral Coast Dental releases your information for purposes related to performing health care operations in the normal course of our business. For example, we may release your information to an entity we have contracted with to print checks for Coral Coast Dental. We comply with all applicable state and federal laws, including any laws that impact our ability to use your health information for payment and operations.
- Other Services: Coral Coast Dental may also use your protected health information for other reasons. These include:
- Informing you of research opportunities or benefits for alternative treatments or telling you about benefits and services.
- Contacting you regarding your appointments, treatment alternatives, or other health-related services or benefits.
- As may be required by a court of law, administrative agencies, law enforcement agencies, or for state medical purposes, such as releasing information to coroners and medical examiners in the event of death.
- Communicating with family or friends or with a legal guardian authorized by you or by law to be involved in your care.
- Communicating with the authorized administrators of a self-funded health plan about your coverage and care.
- Any other use of your health information will only be made with your written authorization, which you may revoke at any time.
Your Right to Protection of Your Health Information
Below is a list of your rights with respect to your protected health information and a brief description of how you may exercise these rights:
- You have the right to request restrictions on certain uses and disclosures of protected health information. Please be aware that Coral Coast Dental is not required to agree to the requested restriction.
- You have the right to receive confidential communications of protected health information which means that you may direct Coral Coastt Dental to send your protected health information to an alternative address.
- You have the right to obtain a copy of your protected health information (certain fees may apply).
- You have the right to amend your incorrect or outdated protected health information.
- You have the right to receive an accounting of disclosures of your protected health information.
- If you are receiving this notice electronically, you have the right to request a paper copy of this notice.
Coral Coast Dental’s Obligations to Protect Your Health Information
As your dental insurance company or the administrator of your dental benefits, Coral Coast Dental has the following obligations to protect your health information:
- Coral Coast Dental is required by law and by its contractual obligations to protect your health information and to provide you with notice of our legal duties and privacy practices with respect to your protected health information.
- Coral Coast Dental is obligated to provide this notice to you and abide by the terms of the notice currently in effect.
- Coral Coast Dental reserves the right to change privacy practices and make new practices effective for all the information we maintain. Revised notices will be available to you, upon request, will be mailed to you.
Coral Coast may collect other personal but non-health-related information about you in the course of providing your benefits. Some of this information is also protected under the law. In most instances, Coral Coast Dental may not release your nonpublic personal information to any person or persons not affiliated with Coral Coast Dental. This means that Coral Coast Dental only releases this information to companies that are part of our enterprise. It is important to us that you understand what information we gather and how we use it to administer your benefits and serve you better.
- Nonpublic Personal Information: In order to provide your dental services, we may need to gather personally identifiable financial information about you from you, your employer, your plan sponsor, or your dentist, with respect to claims, co-payments, and premium payments.
- Disclosures of Nonpublic Personal Information: Coral Coast Dental may release your nonpublic personal information to Coral Coast Dental affiliates and to other nonaffiliated companies for Coral Coast Dental’s everyday business purposes.
- Coral Coast Dental’s Policies and Practices: In compliance with state and federal standards, electronic, procedural, and physical safeguards are in place to limit the collection and use of nonpublic information to the minimum necessary to provide you with quality products and services. Access to this information is limited to a “need to know” basis for our employees to perform their jobs. This applies to you whether you are a former or current member.